homepage banner

Whatever the size or type of building you own, it is important to you and important to us too! It may be simply a garden shed next to the Church hall, where you store your equipment, or it may be a multi function activity centre. Whichever it is, you need an insurance policy which recognises the particular risks you face.

Unity buildings insurance is backed by Lloyd’s of London and provides unique levels of protection for buildings occupied by guiding units. The basic cover includes loss or damage by fire, break-in, storm and vandals, with low excesses and few restrictions. Just look at these valuable extra protection benefits.

- No restrictions on how you use your building.
- Cover applies even when you hire out the building to others.
- Impact damage caused by any external moving object.
- Water damage due to burst pipes, water tanks or equipment.
- Damage due to escape of heating fuel oil.
- Accidental breakage of fixed glass and sanitary fittings
- Accidental damage to underground services (pipes, sewers, cables)
- Loss of metered water.
- Loss of rent payable or receivable.

In addition, should the unthinkable happen, the costs of clearing the site, employing Architects’, surveyors and associated legal fees would also be met.

It doesn’t stop there. Cover also applies to any boundary walls, gates and fences associated with the building.

Optional extensions may be available for additional perils such as flood or subsidence.

Applying for cover

Please complete the relevant proposal form and return it to Unity Insurance Services at the address provided. Do not send any payments at this stage. We will send you a formal quotation and offer of cover and, if this is acceptable to you, please send the payment in good time for the cover commencement date. Upon receipt, we will issue the certificate of insurance and policy document.

Due to the variations in building style, size, location etc., we would ask that, in addition to the proposal form, you complete the risk survey form. When submitting this form, please also supply some general view (interior and exterior) photographs of the building. If it is more convenient to you, these can be submiited electronically via e-mail. These will be used to obtain an individual, personal, quotation from Underwriters. If you do not send photographs you will receive a quotation but it may be more costly than it needs to be.

It is essential that the sum insured for the building represents the present day rebuilding cost and this should be confirmed by a Valuer, Surveyor, or Builder. Appropriate allowances should be made for additional risk elements such as asbestos (see information later in this booklet) and for such things as fees, VAT and rent (where appropriate). Starting with the right value is essential. Once cover commences, we will make sure that the values are adjusted in accordance with the appropriate indices.

Cover is subject to some common sense warranty protection conditions. Please make sure that you have read these.

For information on asbestos in buildings and hiring out your headquarters, see our ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ page.